Who is not using Facebook these days? If you do not have a fb account, “you are an alien” is what the world thinks of you. But do you know the facts and statistics about fb. I’m sure, you will be amazed. Read On here.
1. Al Pacino's Face Was on the Original Facebook Homepage.
2. Facebook has over 350 million active users.
3. More than 35 million users update their status each day, with more than 55 million status updates each day.
4. The average Facebook user has 130 friends and sends eight friend requests per month.
5. In 2008, a 23-year-old woman named Lauren Michaels created a group titled “I Need Sex” on Facebook. Within 10 minutes, she had 35 members and soon attracted 100—50 of whom she eventually slept with. Facebook has since removed her page.
6. If Facebook were a country, it would be the fifth-largest country in the world, after China, India, the U.S., and Indonesia.
7. In 2009, an EMT at the crime scene took a cell phone picture of the body of a New York woman who had been strangled and beaten and then posted it on his Facebook profile. He was later arrested on charges of official misconduct and was fired from his job
8. The New Oxford Dictionary announced that the 2009 Word of the Year was “unfriend,” as in “to remove someone as a friend on a social networking site” such as Facebook. However, there is some debate whether the word should be “defriend” rather than “unfriend.
9. While initially created for college students, Facebook users over the age 26 now represent 60% of the total U.S. Facebook population
10. Forbes dubbed 25-year-old Mark Zuckerberg, the creator/owner of Facebook, as the world’s youngest billionaire, worth 1.5 billion
11. Syria, China, Vietnam, and Iran have banned Facebook
12. The first person to invest in Facebook was the cofounder of PayPal, Peter Thiel, who invested $500,000 in June 2004
13. Lamebook.com is a regularly updated site that reposts “lame” and funny Facebook user posts.
14. In Florida, the Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee ruled that Florida judges and lawyers should no longer “friend” each other on Facebook
15. Twins Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss claim Zuckerberg stole their idea after they hired him to do programming for their own site, Harvard Connect (ConnectU). The case was settled for an undisclosed sum. Others, such as fellow student, Aaron Greenspan, also claim they invented Facebook
16. A “gaydar” software program developed at MIT can reportedly identify gay men on Facebook, private profile or not
17. A 20-year-old IBM employee in Canada lost sick leave benefits from her insurer because her Facebook page showed “cheerful” photos while she was on paid sick leave for depression.
18. On July 1, 2009, shortly after Michael Jackson passed away, his page became the most popular page on Facebook. Previously, the most popular person on Facebook was U.S. President Obama with just over 6 million fans.
19. There are more than 800,000 developers building applications for Facebook.
20. Second most visited website after Google, with 24 million unique visits per day.